Coordinator
Jul 10, 2009 at 3:09 AM

Do you have any new feature requests ?

If so, post here ...

- Nathan

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2009 at 3:52 AM

Intellisense.

I'me currently working on adding Intellisense into the code editor.

- Nathan

Coordinator
Jul 14, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Check for db_owner permissions before running load from database.

(see Issue raised by PeteBSC).

- Nathan

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:09 AM

I'd like to try the tool, but our servers are SQL 2008. When will it be supported?

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Hi albTotxo,

I've done some preliminary testing on SQL 2008, and the results look good.

I'll have a compatible version out within the next few days.

- Nathan.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM

On the "new database connection" dialogue, it would be nice to be able to "browse" the database names from the instance name that you specified in the "Server name" field.   Currently i have to use SQL Management Studio to lookup a database name and that takes a lot of time.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Also, if you create a project and start a connection within it that works fine.  But, if I want to come back later and open the project, I cannot find the database connection that I created earlier.   Maybe i am missing something here but I think from a logical point of view that I was expecting to see some kind of remnant of my previous connection.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:14 PM

On the File-->Open  menu, you could show a "history list" of previously used projects.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:15 PM
rozentalsn wrote:

Hi albTotxo,

I've done some preliminary testing on SQL 2008, and the results look good.

I'll have a compatible version out within the next few days.

- Nathan.

works fine for me on August 1st, 09.   Version 1.1.0.1

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:12 AM
Edited Aug 7, 2009 at 3:14 AM
djangofan wrote:

On the "new database connection" dialogue, it would be nice to be able to "browse" the database names from the instance name that you specified in the "Server name" field.   Currently i have to use SQL Management Studio to lookup a database name and that takes a lot of time.

verified fixed in 1.1.0.2 .  thanks!

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Just downloaded your app and looks good so far.  

Some things I was looking for that isn't there...

• Visual Studio Integration - I could add the project to my solution and use the source control providers built for Visual Studio
  • Source control integration - looks like you use Subversion in your screen shots.  Either add the integration or provide a way to add it as a plug-in.
  • Delta changes for deployment - (maybe it's there) - I want to update my local database with changes, not a full script of every object.  Maybe provide a way of creating change scripts and group them with the database object it changes?

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Hi Mtherien.

As per your points 1 and 2, I dont plan to do visual studio integration or a subversion plug-in at this stage.

Point 3 is an interesting one - and something that I've only recently needed the tool to accomplish.

I will be looking at integrating DBDiff functionality into DBSource tools in the near future - Watch this space.

- Nathan

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2009 at 8:40 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Sep 21, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Sorry Nathan, I have accidentally created a new Discussion named "feature request" instead of an message to this one. Please move it to this thread. And excuse my ignorance. Catalin

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Hi Nathan,
do you intend to implement a comparison between a database and a database project (.dbproj), which is generated using Visual Studio DBPro?

This is implemented in the SchemaCompare tool in that same package by Microsoft, but the feature i am looking for is the ability to generate a diff script, while the MS tools always generate a Create script..

The DB project creates a .dbmeta file. I don't know if this is helpful in this regard

PS: i am refering to this
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/teamsystem/cc308636.aspx

this is the new Microsoft environment for ineracting with databases,  but as you see it has its issues, if your program can accept input from dbproj that will be really helpful
Thanks

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2009 at 1:51 AM

Hi michaelAngelo,

I have worked extensively with Microsoft Visual Studio for Database Professionals for a number of years, and understand the abilities and quirks that this tool presents.

DBSourceTools is an open-source alternative to DBPro, which came about because many of my clients could not afford the price tag.

If you are working with version 1.2.0.0 and upwards, you have the ability to compare database to database, and generate a diff script, which will ALTER, DROP or CREATE objects as required.  Please refer to the Wiki page on Schema Compare.

I have no plans to incorporate a schema comparison with any of Microsoft's proprietary file formats.

- Nathan.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:39 AM
Edited Feb 24, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Hi Nathan,

I would very much like the possiblity to store all filepaths as relative filepaths. This would allow me to generate a deployscript / folder which i can transfer to different machines and execute them there without having to adjust the filepaths.

Another small improvement would be in the Run_Create_Scripts.bat generation.

At the moment not all filepaths are captured between "quotes". This causes some sqlcmd statements to be corrupt cause for instance my DB_BASE_DIR contains spaces.

This would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Rob

[edit]

I updated the code myself and it wasn't too much of a change. If you are interested i am glad to send you the source code.

[/edit]

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Hey Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to fix some of the bugs you are finding.

If you use a Subversion client, and checkout the source code from this site, then you will be able to generate a patch.

Simply upload the patch on the patches link under source control, and I'll definately include this in the next release.

- Nathan

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the instructions, but my previous wat a bit early, in my enthusiasm i forgot to check if the code was actually loading the files from the relative positions instead of the also still existing absolute positions.... my bad.

I am planning to fix this however and will post here when my adjustments are in SVN

Best regards

Rob

May 21, 2010 at 4:17 PM
Edited May 21, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Compare Schema based on an "export" file?  Here is my situation we have 2 developers and they each have their own database.  When it comes time to sync up, it's a pain.  What would be useful would be to export from Developer1 and then Developer2 can open the file and compare it against his DB and have the change script created?  Maybe this is already in place and I'm missing it.

If this can't be done, I suppose an alternative would be for Developer1 to generate a schema script and Developer2 can run it and run the tool as-is and generate the change scripts.

--

After reviewing... the schema is outputting, Developer1 can zip up his output and Developer2 can open it and sync it. 

Coordinator
May 27, 2010 at 2:01 AM

Hey Pete,

Unfortunately, the only way to verify that a database is "compiled" properly is to physically deploy it.  The danger with comparing it to disk is that you may have broken scripts / stored procs / views that would cloud the comparison - possibly getting you into a worse situation than before.

I agree that it's a fairly simple task for Dev1 to zip the database and then Dev2 can open and sync.

In our environment, we use the patching engine quite extensively.  Bearing in mind that the only real way of updating production databases is through patch scripts.

Dev1 and Dev2 both checkout DB1.0 on their local machines, and deploy to DB1.1.

After making changes to DB1.1, Dev1 does a compare and then creates a patch script (patch_1.1.1) and includes it in the patch list, and checks in.

After reloading the project, and Writing Targets, this patch then automatically runs after the deployment from DB1.0 to DB1.1.

In the meantime, Dev2 makes changes, and creates another patch script - increasing the patch number (patch_1.1.2).  Dev2 then refreshes from SourceControl, and deploys DB1.0 to DB1.1, with both patch_1.1.1 and patch_1.1.2.

In this way, you are constantly testing your patches, and a compare between DB1.0 and DB1.1 on your local machine will give you a full patch script.

These two patches then become part of your deployment patch list. 

Let me know if this helps.

- Nathan.

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:40 AM

When using the generate scripts on the compare form it would be nice if schema changes are kept separate from stored procedure and function definitions. I know you need to order it based on object dependancy but it is time consuming to go through a long list of sp's looking for ddl changes so that I can add proper error handling.

Secondly, it would also be nice if you could choose which changes to generate scripts for. Again I know that there is an object dependancy issue to be aware of. We have a number of installations were the databases don't match exactly. At the moment I have to go through and manually remove changes that I don't want.

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Synonyms are not supported. Can you extend the program to support them?

Coordinator
Dec 23, 2010 at 5:45 AM

Hey nickt_ch,

I am busy working on a new major release, which has a number of new features.  This release will include support for synonyms.