version 1.3.0.0 slow?

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Hi,

First of all. Great tool and thanks for the contribution.

I just updated my version to latest and everything is taking forever. Opening the application takes 10 min. looking at the DB source properties takes 5 min, etc.

Do I need to do any configuration for this version?

Also, Tried to write to the deployment target, but it only scripts the create DB and Drop DB. No other objects. Any ideas?

Thanks,

 

 

Coordinator
Apr 9, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Hi Carloslo,

The new version is no different to previous versions in terms of speed.  When the application opens, all it does is read your project files from disk and load the tree structure.

I have been working with version 1.3.0.0 for quite a while now, and I find no difference on any of the machines that I use.  Sounds like your disk-drive is playing up.

In terms of deployment targets - you need to specify which database objects you would like to script.  Open up the properties of the Source database, and you will see options for Procs, Tables, Views and Users.

Click on these buttons, and in the new window, select Reload.  This will then reload all objects from disk, and allow you to select which to script.

Yours,

- Nathan.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your reply.

It may be hard to find the problem, but would like to add more info if that helps.

I have installed the latest version and an older one 1.2.0.11 on same machine. Besides the version I can say the only difference is how they were installed. 1.3 was installed with the MSI installer under c:\program files, the 1.2.0.11 was extracted from the sources zip file under c:\x.

the machine OS is Windows 7 Pro.

The project was created with 1.2.0.11 and it is the one I was trying to use with 1.3. It has 6 databases. All of them hosted remotely.

I also tried creating a new project on 1.3 and it is still slow.

When launching the tool it shows initializing then the CPU jumps to 100% for several minutes before showing the main application.

1.2.0.11 does not show the above issues.

Regards,

 Carlos

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Hi Carloso,

After thinking long and hard about this one, I think that the slowness of 1.3.0.0 may have to do with the Intellisense engine.  When a project is opened, DBSourceTools will generate a list of tables and field names from the table definitions.  If you have 6 databases, and each has many tables and columns, this is most probably the cause.  I'll need to make some changes to allow an option to remove this.

Yours,

- Nathan.

 

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Hi Nathan,

Yes that sounds like it may be the cause.

I would like to suggest running those processes in different threads than the main application (ie. a thread per database). This way the applicaiton will load while creating the intellisense info in the background. You could also use threads for loading the databaases in background. It would give a better user experience as the user is not waiting for those processes to see the application is running.

Thanks,

Carlos